Sunday 14 July 2013

Times Square

Times Square – heart of the world, is the most tourist visited place in the world. My office is in Times Square and I have described a bit about it earlier but in my official tour of Manhattan how I can skip Times Square. So after I finish exploring Lower Manhattan, I took Metro from Wall Street to Times Square. It’s hardly 10 minutes journey from Wall Street to Times Square by Metro.

Times Square Metro station is very big and also confusing for the first time traveler like me. Most of the Manhattan metro lines pass through Times Square and it’s also linked to Port Authority Bus terminal. Somehow I found the exit for the 42nd street and I came on our regular street from which every day I travel for office.

Times Square is basically an intersection of 7th Avenue and Broadway and this intersection stretch is from 42nd street to 48th street. At the end of each stretch, Times Square has big digital screens which are the main attraction here. This Big screens mainly used to telecasts the advertisements. The screen standing near 42nd street has New Year ball at top. The countdown of New Year happens on this screen, on every New Year’s Eve. Screen at 47th street is kind of little entertaining, which captures people’s faces and use it in small animated video, they morph these faces on animated bodies. In front of that screen, kind of amphitheater structure is made from which people stands on upper level to get their faces captured in that video. Also that amphitheater holds lots of events. The recent one I saw is promotion of Brad pitt’s film world War – Z.

For shopping also Times Square is nice place. Aeropostal, Levi’s, Disney’s, ToysRus, Polo lots of outlet has shop here.  Lots of movies, cartoon character also roam in Times Square like Mickey, Mario, Spiderman etc with whom kids take photographs.

You will never get bore in Times Square as every second you will see something is happening. Form some corner you will hear voice of protests, somewhere guys are playing music which keeps your mind refreshed, some guys doing gymnastics, Some are showing sketch art. Something is always on.


This is also the first time I came here with my camera. I took many pics here. I also had lunch here. After spending enough time I headed to Empire State Building.







No comments:

Post a Comment