Monday 1 July 2013

World Trade Center & Statue Of Liberty

World Trade Center and Statue of Liberty
It’s now 2 weeks I am in Manhattan, US and also settled a bit. I am visiting Times Square everyday as it’s my workplace but now thought of exploring Manhattan a bit more.
One fine Saturday I decided to start with Downtown with one of my friend, early morning on Saturday I took Path train from Journal Square to reach directly in Downtown. The last stop of Path train in Downtown is World Trade Center. As soon as you come out of Path train station, at left hand side you can see new world trade center tower. The work is still in progress but the outside construction is almost done. It is one of the 6 towers which are getting built after the old twin towers got destroyed in attack of September 11, 2001. The actual place were the Twin towers standing is called as Ground Zero and it is preserved as 9/11 memorial. We were so early that Memorial of 9/11 was not yet opened and my friend was also not much interested in visiting that.
After that we headed to Battery Park from where I thought that I will get good view of Statue of Liberty. When we were on our way, we stopped by in Subway and had quick breakfast. We were already aware that we cannot go on Liberty Island were Statue of Liberty is standing because it was kept closed due to damage of Hurricane Sandy. It’s scheduled to reopen on July 4 2013.
Battery Park has been an invaluable part of New York City’s history. In 1855, Castle Garden, situated inside the Park was the world’s first immigrant depot. Although its role has changed, people from around the world still visit Battery Park for a view of the city's past. Ferries dock at its shore to pick up visitors to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, and all summer long concerts play on its grounds.
Its beautiful waterfront and flower gardens make Battery Park a lovely place to wander. For those who'd like a longer stroll, the park’s location at the southern tip of Manhattan makes it a classic starting point for walking tours through the city
When we reach to Battery Park, the tip of downtown, I got a bit disappointed. In the map they show the Statue of Liberty is very near to it but it is dip inside and I could hardly see it. My friend wanted to have picture with Statue of Liberty and she could not wait till July 4 as her return date was also nearby. We then decided to take Statue Cruises available from Battery Park itself which will at least give view from near. It was 1 hour cruise which covers Ellis Island, Statue of liberty, Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Bridge.
Weather was so chilly and windy that we could hardly stay on deck of cruise, whenever any attraction use to come, we use to come out on deck take snaps and then go back inside. We also had voice commentary who was telling in details about each attraction which I hardly heard.
First our cruise took us to Ellis Island which was the Port of entry to New York after Battery Park. I heard they still display the number of immigrants coming in to the US but as Island was closed I am not sure, Then our cruise headed to main attractions and i.e. Statue of Liberty. This was again one of my dreams to see it, I saw it earlier in many movies, songs but this is the time when I am looking at it with my naked eyes. When we get closer, I can feel that how big it is. I captured as many snaps of her I can. 
I learnt something about her from the audio commentary that initially she was used as light house then Liberty Island where she stands is converted to National Monument.  The statue represents the Roman goddess of freedom who bears a torch high in the sky in her right hand and a tablet in left hand which inscribes the date in roman numbers July 4, 1776 and evokes the American Declaration of Independence.
Then our cruise passed through Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Bridge. Then our cruise returned back to Battery Park from where we started the tour.
 




 

 
 
 
Thanks,
Mayuresh Manjre

No comments:

Post a Comment